Transportation in Chillicothe, Ohioupdated 13 Nov. 2013

 

A look at pictures of Scioto Valley Traction cars, street cars and automobiles built in Chillicothe, Ohio

CITY TRANSIT HISTORY
Prior to 1894 - Chillicothe Electric Railway & Lighting Co.
1894-1904 - Chillicothe Electric Railroad Light & Power Co.
1904-1923 - Scioto Valley Traction Co.
1923-1930 - Scioto Valley Railway & Power Co. (United Light & Power Co.)
1930 - streetcars discontinued about February
Private bus co. in 1952 - Public Transport

Chillicothe Trolley & Ake Bridge
Columbus Pike Bridge (left) and Scioto Valley Traction Co. Bridge in Chillicothe abt. 1918

Work on building the bridge started 7 October 1904 and was finished 7 August 1905.  On August 25 the first special car with officials ran to Chillicothe and regular service started Saturday 26 August 1905.

April 1930 service was discontinued with the last car out to Chillicothe leaving at 11:00p.m. with motor man William Rigney, and conductor George Gallager in charge.

 

Scioto Valley Traction Co. Depot
Scioto Valley Traction Co. Station torn down in the 1980s

 

Chillicothe SVT station in 1912
Scioto Valley Traction Co. Station

 

Chillicothe twin bridges in summer
Twin Bridges in the summer.  The steel bridge on the left was built in 1888.

 

Chillicothe Twin Bridges in winter
Twin Bridges in the winter

 

Chillicothe SVT bridge
Scioto Valley Bridge across the Scioto River at Chillicothe

 

Scioto Valley Traction Car
Scioto Valley Traction Car by the twin Bridges at Chillicothe, Ohio

 

Scioto Valley Traction Car in front of the Terminal which was used until the depot was built in 1908.

     Scioto Valley Traction Car in front of the Chillicothe Terminal which was used until the depot was built in 1908.  The twin Bridges are to the left of this picture.


The Scioto Valley Traction Company was completed in 1904 from Columbus via Lancaster to Chillicothe and ended passenger service in 1930.  The SVT was Ohio's only third rail electric interurban.  In the rural county side the cars received their 600 volt DC power from the third rail which sat adjacent to the running track.  When on city streets the conductor would put the trolley pole on an overhead wire to receive power.  Those conductors were skilled at putting up that trolley pole while the car was still moving.  An acquired skill as both the trolley wire and trolley pole would be in constant motion.

SCIOTO VALLEY TRACTION CO.
Renamed 1923 to Scioto Valley Railway & Power Co.

Interurban lines:
Columbus-Circleville (constructed 1904)
Circleville-Chillicothe (constructed 1905)
Columbus-Lancaster (constructed 1904)
Abandoned 1930

Scioto Valley Railway & Power Co. affiliate Valley Public Service Co. operated buses replacing the interurban railway lines. In 1945, the bus company was sold to Greyhound, and in 1949 the bus routes were transferred to Lake Shore Coach Lines. Service continued until 1974.

 

Chillicothe SVT substation
Scioto Valley Traction substation and temporary freight and passenger station at Chillicothe, Ohio
SVT at Kinnikinnick
Crossing under the N & W Railway at Kinnikinnick looking south
N & W Railway at Kinnikinnick
Crossing under the N & W Railway at Kinnikinnick looking north

photo by Tyrone Hemry August 16, 2011

SVT RR bed at kinnikinnick
Vie of the old SVT roadbed going south of the crossing under the N & W Railway at Kinnikinnick

photo by Tyrone Hemry August 16, 2011

Kingston Scioto Valley Depot with m
Group picture at Kingston substation taken August 11.1905
Kingston SVT station
Scioto Valley Traction Co. combination freight, passenger and substation at Kingston, Ohio

 

Kingston Scioto Valley Traction Station
Scioto Valley Traction Co. combination freight, passenger and substation at Kingston, Ohio
photo by Tyrone Hemry 13 August 2011

 

Kingston Scioto Valley Station rear
Scioto Valley Traction Co. combination freight, passenger and substation at Kingston, Ohio showing back side
photo by Tyrone Hemry 13 August 2011

 

Scioto Valley Traction in the country

    A special excursion train in third rail territory.    The double track indicates this is located between Columbus and Obetz Junction.  The photo caption says this was taken south of Chase in 1906. This train had a seating capacity of 210 passengers.

     This photo provides the viewer with the best example of service on the Scioto Valley Traction Co. with big interurbans in one, two or three car trains traveling through Ohio farm land on the way to Lancaster or Chillicothe.

     Luke C. Bradley, superintendent and William Bobst, motorman are at the front end.  N.E. Rees is on front steps of rear car.

 Photo from the AJC Collection.

 

SVT baggage Car

 

SVT baggage car interior

 

SVT standard car

 

SVT standard car interior

 

Chillicothe trolley heading west on

Chillicothe trolley heading west on Second St., at the intersection with Paint. This particular one is heading to Camp Sherman.

 

Chillicothe Quote about women

Women Street Car Conductor in 1903 

Quote in a 1903 copy of Machinists' Monthly Journal (Volume 15), one of which was this amusing anecdote

 

Chillicothe ST. Car on the last run

The last street car making the last run in Chillicothe as it turns onto Paint Street from Main. Note Carlisle building in the back ground.

 

Chillicothe an old street car
An old street car

 

Street car snow plow in front of the electric company garage as one looks east on West Water Street
Street car snow plow in front of the electric company garage as one looks east on West Water Street, Chillicothe, Ohio

 

Chillicothe Street car on Main Street

Looking East on Main Street, Chillicothe, Ohio as Street Car is about to make the turn on to Paint Street. Notice the shorter dresses on the ladies.

Chillicothe court house showing street

Chillicothe court house showing street car tracks on Paint Street and the overhead street car wires in 1903

photo by Hathway

Chillicothe Scioto traction Street car

Scioto traction Street car at Eastern School Building

Chillicothe Electric RR ticket

The Chillicothe Electric Railroad and Light & Power Company ticket

 

Chillicothe Paint street as seen from water street
Paint Street, Chillicothe as seen from Water Street. Note the street cars at the corner of Second and Paint Street.

 

Hotel Warner
Street Car near Hotel Warner

 

Chillicothe Street Car barn
Street Car Barn corner of Delano and Arch Streets

 

Chillicothe former car barn site
Former Street Car Barn site corner of Delano and Arch Streets
photo by Tyrone Hemry August 2011

 

Chillicothe 1940 Bus transportation
1940 Public Transport Inc. Bus # 8 in Chillicothe, Ohio
photo by Arthur Rothstein

 

Chillicothe busy street scene at Pa

Chillicothe busy street scene with a city transit bus at Paint and Main

Chillicothe first auto built in Chi
The 1901 Buckeye was the first auto to be built in Chillicothe by the same men who built the Logan, Benny Graham.

 

Chillicothe Logan Car Ad
Chillicothe 1905 Logan Tonneau
1905 Logan Tonneau

 

 

Chillicothe Logan Truck about 1906
A Logan Truck about 1906 on East Street, Chillicothe, Ohio
Logan Construction Company of Chillicothe was the first American Company to export trucks from the U.S. (two delivery trucks to China in 1905). Touring Cars and Roadsters were produced from 1911 to 1918.

 

Chillicothe Logan Model D car
The Model D Logan built in Chillicothe 1n 1905 by the Logan Company. The Logan Construction Company operated between 1903-1908

 

Logan Construction Co.

 

Chillicothe 1913 Arbenz Roadster
A 1913 Arbenz Roadster.  These cars were built between 1911 and 1917 

 

     The Scioto Car Co. (1911-1912) then The Arbenz Car Co. (1912-1918) produced an Automobile called the Arbenz. Fred Arbenz was president and founder of the company. His son Nand Arbenz was designer of the mid priced Arbenz. 
     The Scioto Car Co. was named after the Scioto river.   In 1912 the company was renamed after it's founder, Fred Arbenz.  The automobile name was spelled "ArBenZ" in advertising reportlly to take advantage of the popular Benz automobile made in Germany. 
     Early ArBenZ automobiles were equipped with four cylinder engines that developed 40 horsepower. In the 1914 ArBenZ advertising list their Touring Cars at $1885.00. Starting in 1916 the ArBenz produced a smaller and cheaper automobile with a 17 horsepower Lycoming engine that sold for $625.00.
    The ArBenZ was equipped with a special rear axle and transmission. The axle was full floating and had extra heavy pitch gears. The transmission was integral with rear axle and had three speeds forward and a reverse. With the axle and transmission connected together only one universal joint between motor and rear wheels. Another unusual feature was the fully enclosed 16 inch brakes.
    In September 1918 The ArBenZ Car Co. suspended operation because Nand Arbenz was called into the service due to WWI and the difficulties experienced in obtaining material and labor.
    Touring Cars and Roadsters were produced from 1911 to 1918.

Chillicothe Arbenze Touring Car
A 1913 Arbenz Touring Car, built in Chillicothe on the Southeast corner of Jackson and Washington Avenue.

 

Bookmark and Share

 Home | 1913 Chillicothe Flood | 1959 Chillicothe Flood | Area Auto Racing | Bainbridge | B & O RR | Camp Sherman pg. 1 | Camp Sherman pg. 2 | Camp Sherman pg. 3 | Camp Sherman pg. 4 | Chillicothe News | Chillicothe Paint Street | Chillicothe Yester Years | Churches of Chillicothe | Church Histories | Civic Organizations | D. T. & I. RR | Grandview Cemetery| Historical Markers | Kingston | Nipgen & Summit Hill Pictures | Obituaries | Ohio & Erie Canal |Our State Parks | Storms Station | City & Village Phone Numbers | County Government Phone Numbers | Ohio Government Phone Numbers | USA Government Phone Numbers | Lightning Information | Yoctangee Park

Please email additions or corrections to manager@waverlyinfo.com.

Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601